Ah yes, that’s the nervous anticipation on the NHL’s Trade Deadline Day. Will Regier pull off a huge trade that shocks us all? Is Dustin Brown on the radar? Would Rick Nash actually consider waiving his NMC to come to Buffalo, after Joffrey Lupul, Tom Brady, and Brad Marchand tried their best to set our city’s image in the sports world back another ten years?
What’s going on with Gaustad?
What about Roy? Has he played his last game in a Blue and Gold uniform?
What are the sources saying? What are the rumor blogs out there reporting (usually preceded with the phrase “I’m being told” and ending with the phrase “we’ll see”).
Well, who the heck knows what is going to happen. Big things are going to go down somewhere, and it could be here in Buffalo. Whatever happens, here’s a quick list of advice for D-Day:
- If your boss is evil and has Twitter blocked, use your phone. Or just call in sick.
- Speaking of Twitter – and this is very important – a ton of fake TSN/THN accounts spring up on D-Day, so make sure you’re following the correct ones. (A easy way to check this is to look at their number of followers.)
- The deadline is at 3pm, but trades are announced after that time (teams have to submit by 3, and the NHL then goes through its approval process).
- Stop the Darcy bashing, at least for now. It’s not going to make yourself or anyone else feel better as the tension mounts. Let’s just see what he pulls off tomorrow before we call for his head.
- If you want a big name, like Dustin Brown, be prepared to lose one – or two – of your favorite Sabres.
A lot of players will be packing their bags tomorrow - but we tend to forget that a lot of families will also be also up-rooted. Remember that when you phrase your chirps for a player leaving town.
A lot of media guys and blog sites have cited sources and names, possibilities and plausiblities. The fact is, no one really knows anything. Even a true source doesn’t know if a trade is really going to happen or not, until it’s done. However, we do know a couple things as fact.
- Pegula, Black, Regier, and Ruff will be in the war room in a “We will not panic” mode. There won’t be any moves just for the sake of making moves.
- This same group is living by the whole “long-term plan” thing. Any move they make will take this into prime consideration. A trade might help the team win now – but must help the team later.
Again, just have fun. Try not to lose your head as your wish list grows thinner.
Some helpful links:
The Hockey News’ Trade Log
Edit: Jeremy White of WGR 55 has compiled a very handy Twitter account list, which includes all the Deadline Experts.
NHL.com shared a list of their preferred Twitter handles.
Oh, and of course – Go Regier.
EDIT: And for the love of mercy leave the Pegula daughters alone. They are not processing trade requests from fans, or taking chirps to Regier for you.